Search This Blog

April 25, 2010

Grove Street Chardonnay, USA

2007 Grove Street Chardonnay
Grove Street Winery
Sonoma County, California, USA
109 sek (ca 11 €)
♥+

95% Chardonnay, 5% Pinot Blanc
13 % abv

Yellow golden in the glass. Intense nose. Lots of oak aromas, yeast tones, buttery and apple and pear fruit. On the palate, it is a dry wine, medium-to-full-bodied, with a good acidity, but again: oak dominates. Tropical fruit and butter, maybe little nutty flavours, finished off by alcohol. To me a not-so-well-balanced wine. Too much oak and a little to 'hot'.

I was out after a buttery wine to the fish dish. When I opened this wine on Friday, it was shouting oak at me, with an almost perfumy note. Boy. Saturday, (when I took a little while cooking) the yeast tones were dominating and today it was all a little more moderate. So, decanting might help this wine a little...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. They sell the wine in Sweden at a lower price than in the US, where I have seen it for about US$ 25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is not absolutely sure that it is the exact same wine as the one have seen. Sometimes wines are made especially to suit the specifications of the monopoly. And generelly, US wines are not cheap in Sweden, so the likelyhood that this one should be so much cheaper here, seems small to me. But who knows.

    ReplyDelete