Search This Blog

April 22, 2011

Amethystos 2007

One of Sweden's leading newspapers is calling readers to boycott Greece as a vacation destination. There is trouble in EU regarding Greece. And so on. 


However, I decided to try a 'better Greek wine' (whatever the exact definition here might be), last night. At our local Greek restaurant I asked for something 'more' than just the usual wine by the glass. Before, I had consulted with a Twitter-friend, @elloinos, an expert of Greek wines, what he would recommend. Whether it was my Greek that was too bad or the very pleasant restaurant people who did not understand Greek good enough, I do not know. Wild gesticulations ended in me just accepting whatever they would propose. And this is how I we got to taste a bottle of this wine:


Amethystos 
Regional Dry Red Wine of Drama 2007
Costa Lazaridi
Cabernet Sauvignon, Limnio, Merlot
14.5 % abv
Price Germany internet: ca 14 €. We paid 30 € at the restaurant.


Very intense, dark purple red color. A nose full of very ripe dark berries and secondary tones. Dry, full-bodied, with loads of ripe dark fruit and berries, green capsicum, vanilla and more. Strikingly velvety tannins. Those were actually taking my attention, the image of velvet just popped up in my mind, before I could formulate it. A good acidity and a long lasting finish. The high alcohol content is acceptable to me (who usually is very sensitive to too much of it), because of the wine's complexity. 
I will remember this for a long time because of its velvety.


Read Markus' 10 years tasting notes of this wine here ... 


Watch even Markus and Gary V. talking Greek wines here..


Drama is situated in Macedonia, where there is evidence of wine making dating back 5000 years.


Limnio is a autochtone grape variety and one of the oldest of about 300 original varieties found in the area of Makedonia/Thraki.


Greek wine legislation foresees two (2) broad Greek wine categories: (source: newwinesofgreece.com)

• «Designation of Origin Wines” (VQPRD or Vin de Qualité Produit Dans Une Région Déterminée), a category which includes all OPAP and OPE wines, i.e., those bearing an “Designation of Origin of Superior Quality” and a “Controlled Designation of Origin”, respectively (PDO wines of Greece).

 • «Table Wines,” a category which includes all “Regional (Local) Wines” –PGI wines of Greece; wines of “Traditional Designation”; and ordinary Table Wines. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey HEIKE I am very glad that you posted this one here as its give me some of my old memories :) back.. love this post.. great thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! So, you liked that one too?

    ReplyDelete