Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cookbook for Christmas: Lidia's Favorite Recipes

I'd hoped to test a few more recipes before writing a review of Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrees but with Christmas coming fast, I figured I'd better post this now thinking it could be a good gift for a foodie on your list! The book has 100 great Italian dishes, from basic sauces to a nice range of classic and creative Italian entrees. I'd enjoyed a few of Lidia's recipes in food magazines before, so I was glad to get myself a copy of this book!

So far, I've only had a chance to try two recipes (been busy concocting my own!). I started by making Swiss Chard Potatoes, and found it a nice change of pace from standard mashed potatoes as a side...not to mention the extra nutrition from the chard.
Then I tried an entree that caught my eye in the midst of apple season: Spaghetti with Tomato Apple Sauce. I have to say the idea of combining apples and tomatoes for a pasta sauce sounded a bit odd to me at first.

But I put my faith in Lidia and was pleased with the tasty result! I often find myself tweaking recipes because I want to make my own variation or sense some adjustments are needed to have it come out properly. But Lidia's recipes were easy to follow and came out great without needed to tweak.
Lidia's cookbook comes with a substantial assortment of appetizers, salads and soups, pasta and sauces, sides, seafood and meat. Some that are on my short list to try include Ziti with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage, Pesto Trapenese, Rice with Fresh Sage, Lamb Stew with Olives, and Braised Pork Ribs with Rigatoni. At just $15 on Amazon or at a similar price at your local book shop, this is a Christmas gift sure to please without putting a big dent in your budget!

Full disclosure: I received a review copy of the book. My adventures with the recipes and opinions of my book are fully my own!


EmoticonEmoticon