Sunday, April 27, 2014

Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub for #SundaySupper

Grilled Ribeye with Garlic Cumin Rub for #SundaySupper.

I like the concept of letting a few great ingredients shine in a dish. So this week's #SundaySupper theme of "5 Ingredients or Less" sounded like a great time for me to offer my first post for this weekly blog and social media event. Yet culling through my recipes, I realize my tendency to add a bit of this and a little of that quickly gets the count on many of my recipes a bit higher than 5 ingredients.

Then I realized the perfect share for the 5 Ingredients theme was the Garlic Cumin rub that I often make for steak and pork. It's a simple way to add some good flavor to your meat; and if my 8 year old with discerning taste is any indicator, this rub is also kid friendly! Mixing up your own rubs is also a nice way to save some money.

We're finally starting to get a bit of spring weather here in the Boston area, so I thought I'd share this rub along with my method for using it on grilled steak. I'm definitely ready for grilling season, how about you? One other note: the flavor profile of this rub lends its itself to being used in grilled steak tacos. That takes it well north of 5 ingredients, so I'll just include a photo of that to whet your appetite.

Garlic Cumin Spice Rub for #SundaySupper.
For the spice rub
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
optional: try a pinch of cinnamon, or a 1/2 tsp of sage or other dried herb that strikes your fancy.

Steak: This amount of rub is good for about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of steak. If you have more steak, increase the rub ingredient proportionally. We've enjoyed this with sirloin, porterhouse and ribeye...flavorful cuts that do well with a rub as opposed to needing to be marinaded for tenderizing purposes.

Method: Combine all of the rub ingredients. Rub it evenly onto both sides of the steak, and let it sit out at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. Pre-heat your grill on medium high, spraying with cooking oil first. Put the steak on the grill, over direct heat, and close the grill. Cooking time depends on preference and thickness. I find the steaks I get come out with a nice medium rare to medium doing 5 to 6 minutes per side.

Remove the steak from the grill a bit ahead of your optimal doneness as it will continue to cook. Let it rest on a serving platter for a couple of minutes. Serve drizzled with the juices that build up on the platter.

Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub for #SundaySupper

Wine pairing: Enjoy with the a big red wine of your choice! Cabernet Sauvignon is a natural choice with steak, but a Zinfandel or Syrah can also be a nice match for the spices here.

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.


Check out all the great #SundaySupper creations from my fellow bloggers! And a big thanks to Hip Foodie Mom for hosting this week's event!

Appetizers, Salads and Starters
Sides and Accompaniments
Main Dishes
Desserts and Beverages


EmoticonEmoticon