Monday, May 21, 2012

Eating for Good

Big crowd at Taste of Spring
Not that I need an excuse to eat well, but I was happy to be presented with two opportunities for some tasty food in support of good causes. I've found a number of opportunities to cook for the cause, raising funds for the nonprofit I founded, Social Capital Inc. (SCI). This week, I enjoyed good food prepared by others in support of SCI community partners.

I'd been eager to try Ashmont Grill in Dorchester. I've heard a lot of buzz about the restaurant being a great neighborhood destination, and enjoyed chef/owner Chris Douglass's food at Icarus, which has since closed. Ashmont Grill regularly features wine pairing dinners that support local causes. This month's meals support Dorchester Family School Initiative (DFSI), a great program connecting families to community resources . This past Monday had an "Oregon Trail" theme--I love Oregon wines, so it seemed like the perfect time to check it out.

I definitely enjoyed the food at Ashmont Grill. The first course was a gingered tofu and greens dish that was quite tasty, paired with a Blue Pirate Pinot Gris. I'd say the second course was the best pairing of the night, in terms of getting the flavor combinations spot-on: a flavorful braised rabbit with asparagus, mushroom and peas polenta dish was paired with an unoaked chardonnay from A to Z. This lean chard with a taste of kiwi worked with the hard to pair asparagus and other elements. This was followed by a cedar plank roasted salmon, with the first of two pinot noirs (the first was again from Blue Pirate). Salmon and pinot is a favorite pairing of mine; several at our table did note that the pairing would have been better with a savory side dish as a opposed to a zesty slaw. The best wine of the night was a Chehelem pinot; however, it was paired with a white chocolate dessert that was much too sweet for the wine. I didn't want to spoil the good wine, so ordered up a cheese and charcuterie plate, which worked much better

A big part of the fun of a wine pairing meal like this is to try different combinations and see which work best for you and your fellow diners. There are two more chances to do so this month in support of DFSI--the first one tonight--check out the details here. Definitely a good value at $38.

Tasty Thai food @ Taste of Spring

The Taste of Spring is a popular annual fundraiser in Woburn for NuPath, an agency serving adults with developmental disabilities that also hosts and SCI AmeriCorps member. But until this year, the event has always conflicted with a softball game--I'm definitely more needed at shortstop than at the event!

Asparagus Mushroom Saute from Blue Stove
Taste of Spring provides a chance to sample foods from dozens of local restaurants. I could only stay for a portion of the event, so could only get to a fraction of the tables. Some of my favorite tastes included: an asparagus & mushroom sautee from Blue Stove; a beef empanada from Tango; beef tenderloin sliders from Burton's and some tasty Thai food. I didn't get a chance to find the table of one of my favorite local restaurants, Beacon Grille, but I've got a separate post on them coming soon. Lots of tasty stuff, and a great crowd! I'll be sure to Tweet out a heads up when this event is coming next year.

Have you eaten for any good causes lately? Would love to hear about it!



EmoticonEmoticon