Thursday, June 14, 2012

Burgers topped with Garlicky Arugula


One of the many things I enjoy about doing a CSA (consumer supported agriculture) is that it pushes you to try new things. Though I enjoy seeing creative burger ideas in food magazines or on menus, when I'm making burgers at home it tends to be a very simple preparation. But with a number of greens still in the fridge from our CSA box earlier in the week, I needed to figure out new ways to deploy them.

I was planning a burger night to inaugurate our new grill. Making a salad would put a dent in the greens on hand, but there was still the arugula. I thought I'd give it a try as a burger topping, and wasn't disappointed!

1 bunch arugula, washed and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb ground beef, I used grass fed
burger buns
2 slices cheese, optional.
salt and ketchup to taste

Get the arugula prepped before cooking the burgers. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic, saute for a minute or so until it starts to become golden. Stir in the arugula, getting it well coated with the oil and garlic. Add a bit of salt, and cover. Cook briefly, about 3-4 minutes until just wilted. Keep covered on very low heat while you cook the burgers. I grill them about 5 minutes per side. Add cheese to melt, if using, then place on a bun. Top with the arugula, and I still also used a bit of ketchup. Enjoy!

Wine Pairing: Cab might be the default choice for burgers, but the garlic and pepperiness of the arugula topping seemed to call for something with a bit of spice to match. Syrah could probably work, but zin seemed like a natural. We had the 2007 Chatom Vineyard Zinfandel ($19) from Calaveras County, California. This zin has some refinement as opposed to being a fruit bomb, but still had the heft to work with the burger, and some spice to pick up the topping.


EmoticonEmoticon