Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Muhammara: Spicy Red Pepper Dip [updated]

Muhammara, spicy red pepper dip served with pita chips
Muhammara served with chips and another dip
I found myself making this tasty and spicy dip, Muhammara, yet again for Christmas yesterday. I figured it was time to take some took some spruce up the original posting of this recipe. I originally tried this at Pairings Wine and Food, and they provided me the recipes and allowed me to share on Cooking Chat. This dishes includes pomegranate molasses, a somewhat unusual ingredient, that works well with Pinot Noir. I was reminded of how nicely this pairs with pinot yesterday, and would encourage you to try the pairing for yourself the next time you need an appetizer for company!

7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
2/3 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and chopped fine
2 to 4 garlic cloves (I vote for 4!) mashed to a paste w a tsp of salt (I tend to skip this part and just toss the garlic into the food processor as is)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp pomegranate molasses
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
toasted pita triangles or other scooper as an accompaniment.

In a food processor blend together the peppers, bread crumbs, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt to taste until the mixture is smooth. With the motor running, add the oil gradually. Transfer the dip to a bowl and serve it at room temperature with the pita triangles.
The final product!


EmoticonEmoticon