Sunday, October 5, 2014

Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula for #SundaySupper

Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula for #SundaySupper. Cooking Chat recipe

When I saw the "unprocessed" theme for this week's Sunday Supper, I immediately signed up. I'm a big proponent of eating "real food", as opposed to food-like substances. as Michael Pollan puts it. I was originally inspired to make Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula when I had an abundance of veggies from our weekly community supported agriculture (CSA) share a few years ago.

Twinkies may last forever, but real food doesn't. With an onslaught of various greens from a CSA or prolific garden, you have to do more than make salads. One night I had burgers planned, and it occurred to me that the arugula I had on hand could add some nice flavor. Quickly wilted in some sautéed garlic, the peppery greens definitely add some variety to a burger. Topped with a fresh tomato, no processed ketchup required here!

Burgers with Garlicky Arugula for #SundaySupper. Cooking Chat recipe.

The last few summers, I've been too busy with my son's baseball to keep up with a CSA, but I've signed up for a fall farmshare now that baseball season has slowed down (but not ended!). I had arugula on hand again when I saw the unprocessed theme posted by our undaunted host, the Foodie Stuntman. I figured this simple recipe using fresh local produce would be a a good fit. Yes, burgers are processed, but I use organic, grass-fed beef raised without any hormones. I figured that'd fly.

The unprocessed theme raised quite a bit of conversation about what constitutes unprocessed. For me, the point here is really about "healthy". Eating fresh foods (local when possible), with limited processing, with plenty of fruits, veggies and whole grains. When eating meat, I like to go meat that has been raised in as natural a manner as possible. I offer this dish to the Unprocessed Sunday Supper in that spirit!


For the arugula topping
1 bunch arugula, washed and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

To make 2 burgers
1/2 lb grass fed ground beef
2 whole wheat burger buns* (see note below)
2 slices cheese (optional) with no additives
sliced fresh tomatoes

Preheat your grill, then turn to getting the arugula topping ready. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the garlic, sauté for a minute or so until it starts to become golden.

Stir in the arugula, getting it well coated with the oil and garlic. Add a bit of salt and red pepper flakes, then cover. Cook briefly, about 3-4 minutes until just wilted. Keep covered on very low heat while you cook the burgers.

Spray the grill with oil, then add the burgers. Grill on direct heat, covered, for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip and grill for 5 minutes more. Add the cheese if using, give it another minute or so to melt. Of course, you can cook your burgers on a skillet if it's not a good evening for grilling.

Remove burgers from grill. Place the burger on a bun, then top with a scoop of the garlicky arugula mixture, and top with a slice of tomato. Enjoy!

Burger with Garlicky Arugula served with a Zinfandel. #SundaySupper Cooking Chat recipe.

Wine Pairing: Burgers often call for a cab, but the garlicky arugula topping makes a nice, bold red Zinfandel the way to go with this meal.

*Note on the burger buns: I thought the whole wheat buns I bought for this would qualify for the theme, but then saw a lengthier ingredient list with some unfamiliar sounding items. But burger buns can be made at home, so think I'm still good here. I'm not much of a bread maker, so let me link you to some Sunday Supper friends who have homemade recipes to share: Brioche Buns from Manu's Menu and Multi-Grain Buns from Peaceful Cooking.

Be sure to check out the tasty and unprocessed recipes from all the Sunday Supper bloggers!

Alluring Appetizers and Stunning Sides
Enticing Entreés
Decadent Desserts
Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.


EmoticonEmoticon