Thursday, January 8, 2015

Review of My First Week of the 21 Day Sugar Detox .... and Insanity Max: 30!

WHY Am I Doing the 21 Day Sugar Detox?



So, you may or may not know that for the past few years, I've been experiencing what I've come to believe are symptoms of being hypothyroid.  I had a pituitary adenoma many years ago -- it was removed and was benign -- and I also have read that this predisposes me to being hypothyroid.  I have had a few light tests done, and my ranges came back in the "normal range" BUT NOT in the "optimal range". 

So, as I work through finding a new physician who will work with me and my symptoms, I wanted to try to see if changing up my nutrition intake will help alleviate at least some of my symptoms.

I have read that the Paleo diet or the 21 Sugar Detox can be of assistance with symptom alleviation.  And, also with weight-loss. 

So, with the 21 Day Sugar Detox, I am basically eliminating: sugar (in any form, in any amount—no honey, maple syrup, date sugar, no sweeteners at all–not even a small amount in salad dressing), all processed foods, grains, legumes, gluten, and white potatoes.

Make no mistake -- sugar is in EVERYTHING.  So, these things are key:
  • Read your labels.  Sugar is disguised as many other ingredients.  Sucrose, dextrose, etc.
  • Read up on the program.  Know what you can have and can't have.
  • Make a plan.  Research -- I used Pinterest -- tons of recipes that sound good to you and that you can adapt for your family, too.
  • Meal-prep!  Since this plan allows for NO processed foods, you need to have food on hand.  Especially for those times you need to grab-and-go.
The ONLY modification I am making for this program is continuing to drink my Shakeology.  This is non-negotiable for me.  It has helped with some of my symptoms, too, and I am not willing to give it up. 

So, to MY REVIEW of the first week (almost) of the 21 Day Sugar Detox:
  • It really isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be!  My detox "symptoms" were pretty minimal.  Once I got through the first 1-2 days, I was fine.  I had a dull headache for the first two days.  And, my first night of sleep was pretty horrendous.  Since then, I've been sleeping like a baby.
  • I am loving the food.  I don't feel deprived at all.  I've only had a very small craving for additional fruit and a few crackers.  Crackers are my downfall though, so that's pretty standard for me.
  • I feel GREAT.  I have more energy.  My skin is clearing up.  My digestive issues are nearly GONE (if you want more "TMI-style" specifics, feel free to message me.  I'll share!)  And -- weirdly -- I glanced at my reflection in the mirror today and the deep, dark circles that I usually have under my eyes were nearly gone.  I'm not sure if that's normal or not?  I'll take it. 
  • I haven't gotten on the scale yet.  I am hoping for a bit of weight-loss, but honestly?  The way that I feel is MORE than worth this.
I'm also in my first week of Insanity Max: 30.  Insanity Max: 30 is 30 minutes a day of tough cardio and tabata-style workouts.  One of the best parts?  Every workout has a modifier on screen. So even if you’re just starting out, you can follow the modifier and still get a killer workout.  I modify 90% of the workouts!  And, there's no equipment needed -- all you need is your own body.



I'm eating properly AND getting a great 30-minute workout in.  Talk about treating the body right.  And, feeling GREAT!

If YOU need a REAL-Solution for your health and fitness goals (NOT a resolution!), I would love to chat with you.  Find a workout that works for YOU, personally.  And a nutrition plan that works for YOU, personally!



I also have a FREE 7-Day Clean-Eats Crockpot Challenge coming up.  Free!  Check it out.

Would love to help YOU create YOUR "Success Story" in 2015!

ALL THE BEST,


EmoticonEmoticon