Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Scale is a Liar.

The Scale is a Liar.  A. Big. Fat. Liar.
 
I finished sixty days of Insanity Max 30 about five days ago.  Woo hoo!
 
And, I subsequently shared my 60-day photos with my online accountability groups.  The positive support and comments I received were overwhelming.  I owe my fitness friends and supporters much gratitude.  Love you all!
 
 
See the joy and excitement in my face above upon completing the sixty days?  I do!
 
Sixty days of Insanity Max: 30 -----> behind me. Man, oh, man!   Sweat, tears, and cursing (maybe just a little).
  • Increased strength.
  • Increased confidence.
  • Increased stamina.
 
Priceless.  It may not have been always pretty (hardly ever!), but I am proud to say I finished!  
 
To be honest?  I wasn't going to share my "before" and "after" photos publicly here in my blog, or on my Facebook page.  It felt humiliating.  And, scary.  And, somehow "icky".
 
BUT THEN.
 
I read what I wrote above.  And, I see that thrilled look on my face when I finished.  I am PROUD to have completed this program.  It was the hardest program I've done in at least 2 years.  And, I finished it.  I didn't miss one, single workout.  Even with our crazy, hockey-filled lives.  My nutrition was spot-on for about 90% of the program. 
 
Do you want to know what held me back from sharing my photos?  (Well, besides the unattractive "before" photo?) 
 
THE SCALE.
 
I lost one pound.  In 60 days.  One.  Pound.  Yes - you read that right.
 
But, you can't always trust the scale. Sometimes, you need to do yourself a favor and not listen to its insidious lies.
 
The scale can be a serious and negative addiction.
 
Your scale tells you one thing and one thing only -- how much you weigh (at this exact moment, on this planet).
 
The scale doesn’t tell you how much fat you have.  The scale can’t tell you if you’ve gained muscle. A pound of muscle is like a brick:  small and compact. A pound of fat is like a fluffy feather pillow:  bulky and lumpy. When you gain muscle and lose fat, your body gets smaller and tighter. Building muscle also makes it possible to drop clothing sizes without a big change in weight. Perhaps after a 60-day program, the scale says you lost 1 pound, which may not sound like much. Right?
 
BUT, what if you actually lost 8 pounds of fat and gained 7 pounds of muscle?  Hello?  That's GOLDEN.  That’s a remarkable improvement in your body composition, but you wouldn’t know it if you only used your regular bathroom scale to track your progress.
 
A-FREAKING-MEN.

 

The scale also shouldn't dictate how you feel about yourself.  On any given day.  It shouldn't determine whether you  have a negative day or a positive day.  If you are stepping on the scale daily -- STOP.  Especially if it really isn't working for you.  Just think about it.

SO, in the spirit of being transparent as a Team Beachbody Coach, and admitting that 2014 was the roughest year ever for me, fitness-wise (just due to life circumstances) ....... here I am.  In all of my sports-bra and tight-shorts glory.   Day #1 photos, Day #30 photos, and Day #60 photos. 

I don't see one pound lost here.  Do you want to know what I see?
  • EIGHT INCHES lost.
  • A tighter and leaner abdomen.
  • Smaller arms.
  • A booty lift.
  • Leaner thighs and hips.
  • A happier, healthier, more fit gal!
  • And, someone who can hang with Shaun T. for 60 days!  Phew.




If you are interested in Insanity Max 30, or need any sort of fitness or weight-loss help and accountability, OR need help with your addiction to the scale -- please reach out to me here.  I would love to help you walk your journey to a better life.

ALL THE BEST,
xo
Christine


EmoticonEmoticon